1/11/10

tightrope walking

A disclaimer seems to be flashing around me these days as I step toward the computer: you are about to move into the past-- it is only the past-- it is crucial that you remain in the present. When the disclaimer causes me to remain away from the past completely, or the laundry, or the dishes, or homeschool :)  -- a soft alarm begins to ring and says to me, "This also needs to be written." And so with all that said, the past is the past, thank you, Jesus. And the present is rich and alive, thank you, Jesus. And the future-- is like a box of chocolates...
I remember the flood of visitors at the hospital. Some wanting to see Ely and others just wanting to share a hug or a gift. The prayers stand out in my mind the most. Strangers coming, children of God coming to pray with me and over Ely. Brother Mitch and Stacia sang "Amazing Grace" Tomlin version and shook the 3rd floor of ICU. Without a doubt, darkness trembled at the praise and hope released in song.
Pastor Randy who wasn't our pastor at the time came and prayed for Ely. It was so powerful that Ely upon their first actual, conscious meeting in rehab at Our Children's House in Dallas, sat straight up in the bed smiling and stretched her hand to him making the I love you gesture. That has been their special sign since that day. This kind pastor of a group of loving children of God continued to pray and dance in service for Ely, standing in the gap.
Another man from a church, Word of Victory, in Canton, came to ask if he could pray with me. This kind stranger wept with me in the kitchen of the ICU and interceeded for Ely. He shared with me how God had recently delivered him from a life of addictions. He was so thankful to God for the healing, and he knew if God would act on his behalf, He had the power to act on Ely's behalf. His was a mighty prayer of faith.
Churches all over put Ely on their prayer list. She was lifted high, and her name came before God over and over and over. Thank God that He laid it on so many hearts to pray for her. I know the power of prayer and faith rescued her from death. Jesus moved. He longed to move and when the cries came up, He came.
It's so interesting this back and forth between God and His children. I don't understand how it works. I know He never leaves or forsakes us, I know He was with Ely from her wrapping the belt around her neck until this day. I know He has never left me although I must address certain things it feels- as some independent lesson. He was with us, maybe calling to His children, "Come and love. You will be known by your love." Maybe that's the feeding multitudes He told me would happen. When His children came, they prayed, they loved, they sang, they brought support of every kind to our family, and we walked a step at a time as the bowls were filled with prayer and praise and faith in our loving merciful Father--- and He released life.
I don't remember the exact day I heard the scripture "Some demons are only cast out with fasting and prayer" in my heart. It was followed with "Don't eat until she speaks." Liquids only. He taught me so much pulling me away from flesh during that time.
His glory was a kalidescope during those weeks-- beautiful picture connecting and changing and moving as He breathed into our lives. His breath like winds of a storm will remove limbs, His pruning, and this creates a new strength to what stands beyond the breaking. You know? This process still continues. Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment